SAMPLE ENGLISH TEST
To help you take a successful entrance exam in the ENGLISH TEST we will provide you with the actual exam question list once you apply.
1. I … get up very early tomorrow morning – I start work only at noon.
a) must b) have c) needn’t d) should
2. This time tomorrow we … on the beach in Hawaii.
a) will lie b) will be lying c) will have lain d) will have lying
3. By the time they arrived home, their house … .
a) had burgled b) was burgled c) had been burgled d) burgled
4. He won’t help you unless … .
a) you don’t ask b) you ask c) you won’t ask d) you will ask.
5. Jill finally passed her driving test … .
a) , which is good news b) which is good news c) , that is good news d) that is good news
6. … open the door for you?
a) Shall I b) Will I c) Do you want that I d) Would you like that I
7. He … go jogging as much as he does now.
a) didn’t use to b) didn’t used to c) didn’t get used to d) wasn’t used to
8. They’ve already gone. They … a few minutes ago.
a) was leaving b) left c) have left d) had left
9. Her phone is … yours
a) the same as b) the same that c) similar than d) similar that
10. Pete would have forgotten his interview if we … him.
a) didn’t warn b) wasn’t warned c) hadn’t warned d) hadn’t been warned
11. Jacky … the flat all day yesterday.
a) was cleaning b) cleaned c) had been cleaning d) had cleaned
12. I wish you … me about this earlier.
a) told b) would tell c) had told d) would have told
13. This soup … . Can I taste it?
a) looks delicious b) looks deliciously c) is looking delicious d) is looking deliciously
14. I … my best friend for 15 years.
a) know b) am knowing c) have known d) have been knowing
15. You … noise in the library.
a) mustn’t b) needn’t c) don’t have to d) don’t need to
16. You… those jeans. They don’t suit you.
a) shouldn’t have bought b) shouldn’t bought c) can’t have bought d) can’t bought
17. The midday weather was … for us to walk around.
a) too hot b) very hot c) so hot d) enough hot
18. I … talk to her again if I were you.
a) will talk b) would talk c) would have talk d) would talked
19. I am not sure where Tom is. He … to the garage.
a) might have gone b) can have gone c) should have gone d) would have gone
20. My friend invited me to his new villa, of … he is very proud.
a) what b) whom c) which d) that
21. Stomatology is the branch of medicine concerned with diseases of the _______.
a) mouth b) stomach c) body d) gums
22. Patients with rheumatoid arthritis can experience a limited series of movement. ’Series of movement’
means the same as ________.
a) range of motion b) rate of motion c) rate of flexibility d) range of disability
23. Which suffix means diminution?
a) –osis b) –pathy c) –itis d) –penia
24. Both doctors and patients should ________ to find the most beneficial way of treating hypertension.
a) change b) strive c) concern d) consider
25. When an electrical impulse is released from the SA node, it ________ the atria ________.
a) is caused – contract b) causes – contraction
c) causes – to contract d) is causing – to contract
26. Many factors are known to influence an individual’s susceptibility to infection. The word ’susceptibility’
means the same as_______.
a) capability b) morbidity c) predisposition d) response
27. If one has vascular problems, he has to see a/an________.
a) urologist b) pulmonologist c) angiologist d) nephrologist
28. An ________ in the conduction of the impulse from the SA node to other parts of the heart is known as
a) impairment b) impediment c) exertion d) arrhythmia
29. Loss of bone mass in osteoporosis is a degenerative process. The word ’degenerative’ means the same
a) deteriorating b) delayed c) continuous d) up-building
30. ________ methods are based on practical experience, such as observations.
a) Etiological b) Empirical c) Pathological d) Physiological
1. His sister … in Madrid for the last five years.
a) was living b) lived c) lives d) has been living
2. As there is no answer when I knock, I think he … out.
a) ought to be b) must to have been c) must be d) might been
3. By this time next year you … London.
a) will leave b) will have left c) will be leaving d) will have been left
4. That bag looks heavy. I … you with it.
a) am helping b) will help c) help d) must to help
5. A new novel by Dan Brown … .
a) has just published b) just published c) was just published d) has just been published
6. Ten years ago, he … ten hours a day.
a) could be able to work b) was able work c) was able to work d) able to work
7. I … the book back to the library yesterday.
a) must take b) had to take c) have to take d) must have to take
8. You … this essay for this class. It is due only in two weeks.
a) needn’t have written b) can’t have written c) must have written d) need have written
9. The arrangements … without my knowledge.
a) were made b) had been made c) were making d) had made
10. Mary … in England for 10 years. Now she lives in the States.
a) has lived b) had lived c) lived d) has been living
11. What … this time next week?
a) will you do b) will you be doing c) shall you do d) will you have done
12. Sally has been working here … .
a) for six months b) since six months c) six months ago d) six months before
13. As soon as we … the office the phone started ringing.
a) entered b) have entered c) were entering d) had been entering
14. She says she’d be … if you travelled to Scotland on holiday.
a) very happier b) much more happier c) more happier d) much happier
15. Julia didn’t phone me … she promised.
a) in spite of b) although c) even d) however
16. There … hardly any people in the streets when the delegation passed.
a) was b) has been c) were d) have been
17. I don’t think the lift … yet.
a) has repaired b) has been repaired c) was repaired d) had been
18. You … lie down. You look terribly pale.
a) would better b) had better c) would rather d) had rather
19. Mum warned me … eat too much of the chocolate cake.
a) not b) don’t c) shouldn’t d) not to
20. Mr Jefferson is … person to talk to.
a) a such interesting b) such an interesting c) a so interesting d) so an interesting
21. An osteosclerotic bone is dense and brittle, which means that it is_______.
a) compacted and breaks easily b) soft, fragile c) porotic, fragile d) easily deformed and fragile
22. ’-tropic’ is a suffix that means ________.
a) rupture b) nutrition c) stimulation d) herniation
23. A lack of vitamin A leads to eye dryness which is referred to as _________ in medicine.
a) keratosis b) keratitis c) xerophthalmia d) conjunctivitis
24. Tumors of the adrenal cortex results in virile characteristics in patients. The word ’virile’ means the same as_________.
a) frail b) deteriorating c) dramatic d) manly
25. When a liquid can easily change into a gas, it is ________.
a) violent b) versatile c) sublime d) volatile
26. When unwanted content is emptied through a tube or a hole, such as urine from the urethra, it is referred to as ________.
a) voiding b) producing c) secreting d) incontinence
27. Which describes best the act or sound of coughing?
a) to breathe quickly, taking short breaths
b) sudden noisy expulsion of air from the lungs
c) a whistling sound while breathing
d) aspired air is blown out
28. The spinal cord is a cylindrical _________ located in the canal of the vertebral column.
a) line b) structure c) curvature d) framework
29. The cerebrum forms most part of the brain. ’Most part’ means the same as _______.
a) fragment b) stalk c) bulk d) graft
30. Fibroblasts are stationary cells. The word ’stationary’ means_______.
a) arranged in lobules b) motile c) producing fibers d) not moving
1. Don’t unfasten your seatbelts until the plane … to a complete halt .
a) will come b) hasn’t come c) won’t come d) has come
2. If we … more people, we could play basketball in the yard.
a) had invited b) will invite c) have invited d) would invite
3. He … very badly because he looked exhausted.
a) must have slept b) need have slept c) had to sleep d) needed to sleep
4. By the time we get to station, our train … .
a) will have left b) will leave c) would have left d) would leave
5. I wish it … last weekend. We didn’t really enjoy our visit to the zoo.
a) won’t rain b) wouldn’t rain c) didn’t rain d) hadn’t rained
6. He … out of the window when the car crashed into the fence.
a) was looking b) looking c) were looking d) is looking
7. I’m afraid our game of tennis … .
a) will have to be put off b) will be putting off c) will put off d) will must be put off
8. When … doing yoga exercises?
a) have you stopped b) did you stop c) you stopped d) have you been stopping
9. Something will … to reduce the amount of paper we waste in the office.
a) must be done b) have to be done c) has to be done d) have done
10. The smaller the car is, … to park in the city.
a) easier it is b) the easier it is c) the easier is it d) the easiest it is
11. Now I know I … harder, then, I would have passed the exam.
a) should work b) should have worked c) ought work d) must have worked
12. … coat is it?
a) Who’s b) Whoes c) Whose d) Whos’
13. Nobody … to the teacher when Jim entered the classroom.
a) was listening b) were listening c) listened d) has been listening
14. I haven’t been to the swimming pool … .
a) since long b) for a long time c) in the last time d) lastly
15. You … drive carefully. There are police radars everywhere.
a) had rather b) would rather c) had better d) would better
16. I hope I … this essay in by the end of the week.
a) will finish b) will be finishing c) will have finished d) will have been finished
17. Jim would certainly have a better job if he … a university degree.
a) had b) would have c) has d) didn’t have
18. His first novel, … was made into a film, was written in 1976.
a) it b) which c) which it d) that
19. … a good meal, sir?
a) Had you got b) Did you have c) Had you d) Have you
20. If you … where I told you, you wouldn’t have received this fine.
a) parked b) had parked c) would park d) would have parked
21. A lack of oxygen in the lungs may ________ insufficient partial pressure of oxygen in the air inhaled)
a) lead to b) result in c) cause d) result from
22. The digestive tract_________ the mouth, the esophagus, the stomach, and the intestines.
a) made up of b) consists of c) composed from d) makes up
23. Some cells and molecules can pass through capillary walls, so capillary walls are ________.
a) elastic b) permeable c) semi-permeable d) flexible
24. A v-shaped _______ in the lesser curvature of the stomach is called the angular notch.
a) duct b) indentation c) gutter d) pressure
25. The _________ region is located in the armpit.
a) gluteal b) pectoral c) deltoid d) axillary
26. Which suffix conveys the meaning of diseased condition and abnormal increase?
a) – pathy b) – itis c) –osis d) –poiesis
27. In osteoporosis the bone appears thin and fragile and _________ to fracture.
a) causes b) is liable c) relieves d) is due
28. Urography is making x-rays of the urinary system after it has been rendered opaque by a radiopaque solution. The word ’render’ means the same as ________.
a) make b) do c) supply d) colour
29. Most doctors tend to lean toward drugs which have got reduced _______ effects.
a) abnormal b) adverse c) sufficient d) responsive
30. The thymus is conspicuous in infancy, reaches its maximum size during puberty, then is largely replaced by fat in the adult. The word ’conspicuous’ means the same as________.
a) easily seen b) gets more attention c) palpable d) negligible