Egas Moniz University in Portugal
Faculty of Forensic and Criminal Science
Study Forensic and Criminal Science in English
The Egas Moniz Higher Institute of Health Science (IUEM) Undergraduate Degree in Forensic and Criminal Science offers an innovative and pioneering programme in Portugal. The degree arose in response to the need to train forensic scientists with encompassing and interdisciplinary skills in the different natural sciences areas, with a strong lab component, capable of effectively analysing a crime scene.
Forensic scientists play a vital role in the justice system by supplying scientific information that is fundamental in criminal investigation and for the courts. The work they carry out is to recognise, identify, individualise and assess forensic traces in legal proceedings, applying the exact and natural sciences.
As professionals in the criminal investigation services, forensic scientists offer a service that enhances the legal system’s response capabilities, integrating scientific and technological know-how with professional practice.
- The course’s strongly practical component. You have at your disposal a series of infrastructures, including a forensics laboratory, chemical testing laboratories, crime scenes and a document analysis room, among others.
- Having internships and taking part in training courses at the various institutions with which we have cooperation agreements.
- The vocational training you will receive in photography as a complement to your overall education.
- A young and qualified teaching body that is motivated to assist you. The teaching staff includes teachers with specific training in the main areas of this degree and you will also receive classes from guest lecturers who are working in several forensic fields.
- A top-quality University Residence on campus, with numerous amenities on offer, such as a swimming pool, which ensures your well-being and safety, as if you were in your own home.
- An excellent academic environment, that is stimulating and active and includes teachers, researchers, professionals and students alike! You will attend parties, concerts, academic nights out and other initiatives organised by the Egas Moniz Student Associations, “Tunas” Groups and choir. You will also be able to practice several sports, whether at the gym or the playing field we have on offer for you.
- Our campus’s privileged location in Almada council, 15 minutes away from Lisbon and Costa de Caparica, with excellent means of access (over-ground metro, train and bus).
Career prospects and opportunities
Once you complete your course you will be able to:
- Work in laboratories dedicated to analysing forensic traces, carrying out sample/trace analysis (biological, chemical, toxicological, finger prints, documents, comparing handwriting and ballistics).
- Work as an expert for insurance firms, banking institutions, lawyers’ firms and research and development laboratories.
- Pursue an academic career, furthering your education in second and third cycle courses specific to forensic science or crime scene investigation.
- Pursue a scientific career in fields such as Biochemistry, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Toxicology, and others, due to the high level of laboratory experience gained during your degree.
- Pursue your studies, for instance through post-graduate courses in this area. Under the agreement signed between IUEM and Lancashire University, there are two vacancies each for one of the post-graduate courses in the MSc in “Criminal Investigation”, “DNA Profiling”, “Document Analysis”, “Forensic and Conservation Genetics”, “Forensic Anthropology” and “Forensic Toxicology”.
All courses are fully accredited by the Portuguese Regulatory Agency – A3ES and Egas Moniz Institution is at 9th place in the national SCIMAGO ranking, and 1st among private institutions in Portugal.
DURATION OF STUDY AND TUITION FEES: Study Forensic and Criminal Science
The duration of study is 3 years.
Tuition fees for EU citizens 4,851 Euros paid in 12 installments.
Tuition fees for Non – EU citizens 6,824 Euros paid in 12 installments.
50% and above in Biology in the last year of High School and the High School Diploma cannot be older than 2 years.
HOW TO APPLY: Study Forensic and Criminal Science
The applicants are required to complete the on-line application form.